Coffee's on 24/7

Coffee's on 24/7

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

2nd Place Winner in the Adoptee Writing Contest 2015, Shefalie A. Hollis

In memory of my birth mother:          

Mother,

It is my birthday

And I think of you…..

Thank you, for my life……

In all the passing years

I still think of you.

This day…… My day……

Not much celebration going on

The day you delivered me.

But oh my mother…if you could see me now….

I would want it to bless your heart…..

To see what I have done with the gift of life given to me.

I am so sorry you could not keep me or

Watch me grow and bloom into the woman

I am becoming today.

I am sorry, it was not your hand that held me

As a child in the night ,when I was so afraid.

Nor your voice that comforted me in the darkness and challenges  of

My life……

Nor your laughter, or your encouragement I heard

Throughout my youthful growing years.

You have not seen the many places, and people

Whose  lives have touched me and I them and all

That has gone into making me………Me.

 

But still…here I am……

I am trying  to do the best with my life I can.

I have loved, laughed, climbed mountains,

Walked in the valleys and…..well sometimes I have even stopped to rest in the shadows for oh so long………

Until I had almost forgotten the warmth of the sun……

I am learning to let people into my life and heart

And build a bridge to friendship……

I have known times of deep loss, .…. but also the pleasure of much gain…..

And I have known the joy of being raised with a family…..

I have been a daughter…and a sister…a wife…a mother….… and a friend to many…

Who have lost their way in life…….

I so wanted you to meet my friends…

I wanted you to meet the woman who became my “mum”…

I am learning  to sing in the barren times, and the times of plenty….

I am learning to let the light shine from within…

And to let the wounds heal over…..

I am learning to sing  a new song…..

And I wanted to say thankyou.

I think of you and wanted you to know

My life has gone on…..

And I am coming into full bloom…

And this day of all days……. my birthday,

I remember you and smile.

Jean shefalie Hollis copyright 1/1/06
 
 
Bio:My name is Shefalie and I am bi-racial. I live in the UK and am married and have a grown married son, and we have a lovely granddaughter who is a gift to my heart and spirit and has brought much healing into my life. 

No comments: