Coffee's on 24/7

Coffee's on 24/7

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Adoptees: Life Changing Joy/Overwhelming Emotions/God's Surprises in Birth Sibling Reunions- Identifying with Moses




"The LORD said to Aaron, "Go into the desert to meet Moses." So he met Moses at the mountain1 of God and kissed2 him.
28 Then Moses told Aaron everything the LORD had sent him to say,3 and also about all the miraculous signs he had commanded him to perform." Exodus 24:27-28. 

My beautiful birth sister Judy went home to be with the Lord 18 years ago. I will never forget our life changing reunion three years before when I was but 36 years old. We met on a reunion weekend with all my Johnson birth sisters- 3 in all. ( My birth name before being adopted was Carol Ann Johnson ) I did not know of my birth family until I did a search for them in mid-life. After a 2 and 1/2 year emotional search I found them. Sadly my birth parents were already deceased. My birth sisters were told I died at birth when I, the baby, did not come home from the hospital with my birth mother. I remember my first meeting with Judy like it happened yesterday. It was truly overwhelming and amazing to look into Judy's face for the first time- and see mirror images of my physical traits for the first time in my life due to being adopted. Even though Judy and I only spent a few brief years getting to know one another- I thank her for lighting up my life with JOY with her tender love, her special gifts of caring and sharing of herself with me and my family.  I will never be the same because of the priceless gift God allowed in our reuniting as sisters. I know God's heart rejoiced when He witnessed Judy and I and my sisters reuniting, for that is the kind of compassionate God we serve.
   I find comfort in the pages of scripture when reading about the life of Moses, the most notable adoptee in the Bible. He too was separated at birth from his two birth siblings Aaron and Miriam due to the edict sent out by a cruel Egyptian ruler that targeted killing all Hebrew babies, hoping to extinguish the life of the foretold child who would be the coming Hebrew messiah. Moses mother Jachobed kept Moses hidden for as long as she could but as he grew his cries became too loud to silence him from the searching soliders who were on a terrible mission of slaughter. By God's leading, Jachobed obediently weaved an ark- a basket of reeds and sealed it with pitch to allow Moses a safe journey in his travels down the dangerous alligator infested Nile River where she prayerfully released him to his future destiny. 
   God did not forget Aaron, Miriam and Moses who in their painful separation as siblings faced trauma and deep loss. Their suffering surely must have birthed in them an inner angst- a longing to reunite someday. The scripture verse from Exodus tell us that God nudged Aaron to go out and meet Moses in the desert. They were now adults and so many difficult and challenging years had passed them by and they likely felt God had forgotten them and abandoned their dream to be together again. But God surprised them, and overwhelmed them with His compassion, love and grace. Moses and Aaron met in middle of that parched desert and embraced and kissed. In God's perfect timing and creative ways He brought healing, reconciliation and inexpressable joy. What a mighty God we serve!
PRAYER:
Lord Jesus, our compassionate Father, We thank you for being with us through the losses, separations, and painful challenges of our lives. You comfort and sustain us through those wilderness experiences when our hearts are pierced. And then in your compassion and wisdom you overwhelm us with surprises and joy, often when we least expect them We thank you precious Father for loving us and providing for all our needs. You know us more intimately than we know ourselves. And we praise you!  Amen.
( Copyright 2015 by Jody Moreen. Permission is needed by the author to reprint a portion or the complete text in any media form- in print or online )

No comments: